This super looking 75 3.0 comes from long term ownership of a small private collection of classic Alfa Romeos and is a well known car within the Alfa Romeo Owners Club, the current owner being a stalwart of both the Goodwood and Central Sussex sections of the club for many years. This particular example has a claim to fame having featured in one of the original sales adverts for the Alfa SZ way back in 1990, being seen in alongside an SZ in a driving shot. The history file indicates that for the car was owned by Alfa Romeo GB for the first 6 months of her life supporting this further.
Following 23 years of much enjoyed driving, covering around 40k miles during his tenure, she is sadly for sale as the owner downsizes with retirement looming.
First registered on January 2nd 1990, unlike so many of these cars this one has a particularly impressive history file, dating back to her running in service at 692 miles on the 24th January 1990. There are continuous invoices from September 1990 throughout the cars entire life, aside from a couple of ‘lay up’ periods in the current ownership. The original book pack is present and correct with the service booklet containing 11 stamps up to 60k miles in February 1997, 95% carried out by Newick Garage, an Alfa main dealer at the time. Given the full file of invoices the lack of stamps thereafter is somewhat academic. Also present in the file are all the MOT certificates since the first in December 1993.
During the current owners long tenure with her she has benefited from much care & expense, with all the major work being carried out by our sister business Alex Jupe Motorsport. I must confess a personal soft spot for this particular 75 having looked after her for since first starting the workshop side in 2002. The points of note are:
Body & gearbox rebuild 2005/06:
- Removal of front & rear screens, lights, trim etc.
- Cut out rusty inner & outer wheel arches and weld in new repair panels to both sides.
- Carry out localised metal repairs around the car as required.
- Supply & fit a Veloce bumper kit.
- Restore and repaint grey side moulding & door mirrors in the correct grey.
- Complete repaint of the car.
- Remove, strip & rebuild the gearbox with new synchromesh on 1st to 4th gears inclusive, new oil seals.
- AJM Quickshift fitted.
- Supply & fit Compomotive MO alloy wheels.
- Supply & fit 75 LE Recaro interior.
Full engine rebuild in 2007:
- Remove & strip engine.
- Ultrasonic cleaning of block, heads and other alloy castings.
- Supply new pistons, liners, C&B fast road cams.
- Crack test crank & rods.
- Polish crank journals (new bearings to standard size).
- Lighten flywheel and balance bottom end assembly.
- Strip, measure and reassemble oil pump.
- Reassemble engine using all new gaskets, oil seals and replated or refinished parts.
- CSC tubular manifold kit.
- New prop shaft donuts.
Since completion of the 2007 engine work the car has covered just 20k miles, so she is virtually just run in! Not long after the restoration was completed she featured in Auto Italia magazine, a copy of which is in the history file.
Following a change in job, meaning working from home, she was laid up in 2019 in her garage. Four years on and still resting the decision was finally settled on that it’s the right time to find her a new home. However, unlike many a seller, our client wanted her back on form for her new keeper. To that end she was sent once again to Alex Jupe Motorsport for a thorough going over. This work totaled over £5500 and included:
- Major service with new cam belt & mechanical cam belt tensioner conversion.
- New water pump and drive belt.
- Oil, filter and coolant change.
- Refreshing the detailing to the engine bay.
- New AJM silicone breather hose kit.
- New cam cover gaskets & plug well seals.
- New spark plugs.
- Various hoses replaced.
- Some localised fabrication & welding work, followed by Dinitrol application.
- 12 months MOT.
In addition to this she also benefits from a new fuel pump, filter & mounts and a new stainless steel CSC rear exhaust section.
Now ‘on the key’ and ready for new adventures she drives beautifully and presents very well throughout. Few of this once underrated, consequently rare, but now sought after Alfa are left, fewer still with such good histories. Here’s your chance to grab one of the nicer survivors that marked the end of the old school Alfa Romeo era.
If you would like to discuss further or arrange a viewing please contact Alex on 01243 882142.