A Rare and original Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
It’s rare to find any decent Alfa Romeo Giulia Super saloons for sale in the UK, the coupe having a much greater survival rate, let alone an original UK market RHD example that has been put through a no expense spared restoration, yet that is just what we have here.
This lovely Super was purchased by her current owner in 2010 to join his small collection of classic cars. A copy of the H & H auction catalogue, from where she was purchased, is included in the history file. Over the next 3 years he used and enjoyed the Giulia while also carrying out much in the way of servicing and general maintenance, all documented in the history file and including the following:
- New ignition switch & key.
- New heater fan motor.
- New fuel tank, sender & fuel filler neck seal.
- Assorted service work including spark plugs, filters.
In 2014 she was sent down to our sister company Alex Jupe Motorsport for an extensive mechanical overhaul and upgrades with the idea of turning her into a fast road spec car. The spec of the works includes, among other things, the below and represents an investment of some £28,000:
- 2.0 donor engine supplied.
- Complete strip down of engine & vapour blasting of all castings.
- Gas flowed cylinder head with new valves, guides etc done to suit.
- C & B fast road 11.6mm lift camshafts.
- New cam followers.
- New high compression pistons & new liners.
- New top & bottom timing chains.
- 123 programmable electronic distributor & Petronix coil.
- Reconditioned starter motor & alternator.
- Complete rebuild using all new bearings, gaskets etc.
- Classic Alfa tubular sports exhaust manifold and complete new system.
- Suspension strip down and overhaul with new ball joints, polyurethane bushes throughout.
- Shot blast & repaint of suspension components.
- Classic Alfa handling kit with Koni adjustable shock absorbers.
- Reconditioned steering box.
- New clutch, slave cylinder & stainless steel braided hose.
- New brake master cylinder and pipe work.
- New wheel bearings.
- New Classic Alfa Giulia Ti replica alloy wheels.
- Rolling road set up of carbs & ignition timing.
As can be seen no stone was left unturned. This produced a fantastic driving Giulia Super, certainly the nicest I have driven with 155bhp recorded at rolling road tuning session making for lively performance in a car that now stops & handles as well as she goes.
However, while carrying out all the above work it was noted that the sills looked to be in need of some remedial work soon and the body also had areas that showed signs of poor previous repairs. Having enjoyed the summer of 2015 with her the owner returned her to Alex Jupe Motorsport in October that year where a full bare metal body restoration was carried out. This work cost just shy of £66,000 (yes, you read that correctly) and included:
- Strip down of all exterior trim, lights, windows etc.
- Removal of engine and stripping engine bay of all ancillary components.
- Removal of complete interior and carpets.
- Body shell taken back to bare metal.
- 4x new door skins fitted to rebuilt original door frames, including fabrication of the tricky to do inner weather seal channels.
- New outer & middle sills.
- New jacking points.
- New rear wheel arches.
- New rear lower wing repair panels.
- New rear light panel.
- Complete new front panel.
- New battery tray.
- New O/S & N/S rear floor panels.
- Assorted repairs to chassis and front floor areas using hand fabricated repair panels where needed to factory shape.
- Complete repaint to engine bay, interior, boot & exterior in original AR501 red.
- Strip, repaint and rebuild of prop shaft with all new bearings, U.J’s etc.
- Stone chip spraying of complete underside.
- Dinitrol 4941/CAR to underside.
- Dinitrol ML/1000 cavity waxes to inner sections.
- New door & boot seals.
- New window felts.
- New headlining.
- New custom-made carpet set.
- Stainless steel bumpers restored and polished by specialist.
- New headlights, rear lights, indicators, badges etc.
- Reproduction sticker set.
- Extensive electroplating or replacement of fixings and fittings throughout the rebuild.
She comes with an A4 ring-bound history file documenting all invoices during the current ownership of 13 years along with MOT certificates and of course V5 registration papers.
Today, 6 years since completion, she still looks superb having completed just 3000 miles since the comprehensive restoration. Sadly, living in central London and with increasing traffic levels to get out to the open road she is being used less and less, so is now raring to find an owner ready to take her on exciting new adventures. Barely run in since all this work was carried out, she represents incredible value and likely an unrepeatable chance to enjoy the fruits of someone else’s investment.
Although exempt, she will be supplied with 12 months MOT for the new owners peace of mind.
Please call Alex to discuss or arrange a viewing on 01243 882142.