A real rarity to find in any condition in the UK, let alone the fabulous example we have here. Until very recently a ‘forgotten’ Alfa Romeo Giulietta 116 series has recently begun to find its place in the classic world with prices and demand rising, finally being appreciated for the fantastic cars they are. Both in terms of styling, which was way ahead of the competition when they came out in 1977 and still looked sharp when they were replaced by the rather less good looking 75 in 1985, but also driver appeal.
This particular example came to the UK from Rome at the end of 2016, so is of course LHD, and was sourced for her current and only UK owner by our sister business Alex Jupe Motorsport to add to his fleet as one of his two ‘daily driver’ classics during which time she has covered some 20000 kms (12500 miles). Due to the dry mid-Italian climate, and unlike most UK based Giuliettas, this one has completely escaped the ravages of rust having NEVER been welded or been rusty. Indeed, when we examined the car she was found to be wearing the original factory finishes underneath with just a layer of dirt over the top from years of use. This being a late production example she has the later 75 floor pan, complete with Isostatic gear linkage.
In order to prepare her for duty as a reliable, useable daily driver the following work was carried out in early 2017:
- Steam clean of underside and wheel arches before leaving the car to dry out and applying Dinitrol 4941/CAR under body wax and ML & 1000 cavity waxes to all the internal areas.
- Rebuilt prop shaft with all new donuts & bearing.
- Remove & strip gearbox, rebuild with new inner & outer synchromesh as required.
- New gearbox mounts.
- Clutch stripped, cleaned & inspected with new release bearing fitted.
- New clutch salve cylinder & braided hose.
- New front & rear brake callipers & pads.
- New rear brake discs.
- Braided stainless brake hoses all around.
- Major service with fluids, water pump, plug leads etc.
- New cam cover gasket.
- Wrap around aluminium front wheel arch liners.
The above work totaled just shy of £7000.00.
At the end of 2017, having found he was really loving the car, she was returned to Alex Jupe Motorsport for some cosmetic work to localised areas of paintwork and to strip & rectify the usual achilles heel of the Giulietta, rusty steel window frames!
In November 2018 she returned again for a comprehensive engine ‘refresh’ with the following work carried out at a cost of £5300.00:
- Removal of engine from car to access engine & engine bay properly.
- Remove & strip down cylinder head to to extensive oil leak from head gasket.
- Rebuild of cylinder head with new 8x new valve guides and seals.
- New engine mounts.
- New top timing chain.
- Extensive detailing to engine & engine bay.
- Rebuild of engine with new head gasket etc.
- Refit engine to car.
- Rolling road tuning to set up carbs.
Since then the engine has just required annual servicing, however further work to other areas of the car since August 2019 include:
- Complete new exhaust system.
- New factory spec shock absorbers all around.
- New front brake discs & N/S wheel bearing.
- O.E. front fog lamps sourced & fitted.
This Alfa Romeo Giulietta has been used, but also loved and maintained with a ‘no expense spared’ attitude. She has just had the 15 inch GTV alloy wheels refurbished and a brand new set of Hankook tyres fitted, but also comes with the original 13 inch alloys (also refurbished and with 5 recent Uniroyal Rain Sport tyres).
She comes complete with an A4 ring binder of history, including the Italian import papers and all UK invoices, these alone total over £27000.00, and of course the annual MOT’s. Having just been detailed by us ready for sale she really represents something of a steal for her lucky new owner and is ready to just load the family in for the school run, or pamper and take to the local classic car show where you can almost guarantee she’ll be a talking point as the only Giulietta there!
If you would like to discuss further or arrange a viewing of this Alfa Romeo Giulietta please contact Alex on 01243 575760