The ‘Dino to have’ in my opinion. With more delicate details, superb aircraft style dash layout, lighter more rev-hungry all alloy 2.0 V6 mated to Fiats own ‘knife through butter’ 5 speed gearbox and LSD rear axle the Fiat Dino 2000 Coupe is the sweet spot of all the cars wearing the Dino badge.
This super example of these often forgotten GT cars was originally built in December 1967 and supplied to Sicily where she remained until 2015 when a small Malta based classic car dealer, who sourced all his cars in Sicily, bought her. As is so often the case with Italian owned cars there is no paperwork on file, but we were told and it was clear on inspection that the following work had been carried out in approximately 2010:
- Trim off glass out repaint.
- Complete interior retrim using all the correct materials for carpets and basket weave vinyl seats.
- Strip down and restoration/polishing of all stainless steel bumpers & trim.
In October 2015 I was asked to source a good 2000 Coupe for a long standing client of our sister business, Alex Jupe Motorsport. On finding this car advertised in Malta and traveling to inspect her a deal was struck and she has remained with her only UK owner since.
During his 8 year ownership she has covered 10,000kms, or 6200 miles. Wanting his Dino to be as useable and reliable as possible a ‘no expense spared’ attitude to maintenance has been employed, all works being carried out at Alex Jupe Motorsport who are well known for their work on the Fiat Dino. To that end over £43k has been lavished upon her, beginning on arrival in the UK with the following:
- Major service.
- Distributor rebuild.
- Rebuilding the original Dinoplex unit to working order.
- New fuel pump.
- Rolling road carb set up.
- New RHD headlights.
- Full Dinitrol under body & cavity wax treatment.
- Wheel refurb and period correct Michelin 185 tyres fitted.
- Period correct style inertia seat belts to front and static to rear.
Just after this work was completed the car went on an 1800 mile round trip to Italy for the 50th Anniversary Dino meeting during which she ran without fault, including through some torrential rain on the return leg. On return some further work included:
- Engine minor service.
- Reconditioned starter motor.
- Gearbox removal & rebuild with new synchromesh and bearings as required.
- New clutch slave cylinder & braided stainless steel hose.
Over the course of the next few years maintenance and improvements were made on a regular basis as the owner desired. Those of particular note are:
- Rebuild of rear brake compensator system.
- New brake master cylinder.
- New clutch master cylinder.
- Removal of dash, dials etc. Re-trim of complete dash.
- Removal, strip & rebuild of heater box, flush & pressure check matrix, refit with new heater valve and hoses.
Following some running issues in December 2021 investigation found high cylinder leakage on cylinders 2 & 3. To rectify this an engine overhaul comprising the following was undertaken:
- Strip down to remove cylinder heads.
- Cylinder heads machined as required & rebuilt.
- Engine reassembled with new gaskets, oil seals etc.
- Extensive detailing to engine bay & components during reassembly process.
- Quicksilver stainless steel exhaust system.
- Strip & rebuild of engine cooling fan.
- Rolling road set up of carbs & distributor.
- Replacement of all 4 rear and 2 front shocks with Koni adjustable units.
This work was completed in June 2022 with 8400kms recorded, so just 1600kms have been completed since. Consequently this Dino, unlike so many, has been properly and recently maintained and is on the key and ready for action! Few of these wonderful and highly underrated cars are available in the UK, let alone with such expense lavished upon them. This represents a rare opportunity to acquire a forgotten gem before prices go yet higher.
Supplied complete with A4 ring bound history file documenting all the above work and more, FCA Heritage build certificate, MOT’s, some Italian papers and import papers. She also has a very rare complete original Dino tool bag, jack and tool kit along with often missing battery box cover.
If you would like to discuss further or arrange a viewing please contact Alex on 01243 882142